My continuing adventures beginning from Residental Hotel Hell to a regular life.

Monday, July 30, 2012

The President Comes To My Town, lets get sedated! Where were the "Occupiers?"

Barack Obama came to Oakland,California for a Visit July 23 2012. Wow..! Obama was supposed to have held some kind of rally at the Fox Theater in the Photo. These pictures where taken on the day of the visit. I wasn't able to attend the rally and meet the President on the day of the rally. The Secret service and the Oakland Police set barriers around the rally site for non attendees. I decided to take some time off work especially when I saw a group of protesters with there banners outside City Hall park. Oakland City Hall park was the site of the "Occupy Protest". like this encampment several months ago.
and this, when the Occupy movement in Oakland began to gain national attention.Citizens were parading out in the street
By the day Obama was to arrive at the rally..the protesters most visible around town there the Cannabis,(legal Marijuana crowd). (
and this
I was really upset at this ..Where had all the Occupiers gone? What happen to the 99%? They had all metamorphosed into a Pro-Cannabis group! This isn't what the Occupy movement was supposed to be about, and Oaklanders have more important concerns. Like getting jobs, dealing with the loss of there homes, pension on attack, Health cost, Gun Control. What kind of people run a Cannabis movement at a Presidential rally, people like these...
I got a chance to talk to some of the "Pro-cannabis" crowd. They were actually some very nice intelligent people. As I got to talk with them more, I think I began to wonder what these Cannabis people might be medicating themselves from ...... Franklin D. Roosevelt said something like ,"There is nothing to fear, but Fear itself". I think lots of those cannabis people are afraid. That's the message there gonna send to the President. "Give us cannabis at least sedate us..were terrified!" This is a reasonable fear considering the number of people homeless and without jobs, rising crime, and California can't even afford to keep them in prison..closing public schools, cost of higher Education rising, Gun control..plenty of things to be sedated about. I troubled the Cannabis crowd no more.. I got a chance to talk with someone who claimed he was a leader in Oakland for the Occupy movement. I asked him .."Where is the occupy movement? The President is coming to town..here's your big chance to make a statement!" He said something like.. " well the occupy movement is a national movement, there one in almost every big city, so not to worry." He also said something like . "Well we don't have any money to do much , and that most of the early leaders of the occupy movement in Oakland, ran off with the money, so there wasn't much left. The most I've seen of the "Occupy" movement were late night marches down the Avenue, to the police station .There were a rag tag group of adolescents.. marching into police barricades, actually protesting the police, at the police station. The Police would wait for them in riot gear. The guy told me that he actually couldn't control some of these groups of people,and that he was against the idea of these teens doing that. Nevertheless from my vantage point the "Occupy" group during the ,President's visit, wasn't well represented anywhere around the area, perhaps they were inside the theater with the president. It was an interesting day for me. I'm sorry that I didn't get a chance to meet the President, I didn't get his picture. Anyway 2#. point for the President Barack Obama for coming to visit Oakland. This could be a good thing, rather than canvassing for our allies overseas like Mitt Romney is doing at present in Israel, how about just meeting the folks at home?

No comments: